The Family Law Company has a dedicated team of solicitors providing specialist advice and support for unmarried couples going through a separation.

Unmarried couples do not enjoy the same rights as married couples on separation, but they are able to make claims in relation to property whether jointly owned or owned by one party. Claims can also be made for financial provision for the children of unmarried couples.

It is important that you choose a solicitor who will use the right approach to achieve the best outcome for you and your family. The Family Law Company’s primary focus is to work co-operatively with you and your former partner where possible to find a solution.

However, we also recognise those situations where a firm approach is required. We will consider with you all effective means of resolving issues including alternative dispute resolution, mediation, round the table meetings and court proceedings.

Where there are children involved, we always place their needs at the heart of what we do and our team of expect child law solicitors are in place to handle these matters for you.

We are also able to assist in the unfortunate event of the death of your partner in an unmarried relationship, where no or insufficient financial provision is made for you or your dependents by their will.

I need now to thank both of you for your tremendous wisdom, kindness, advice and support which have made an unthinkably horrible situation tolerable and ultimately, successful. The last two years have been a really testing walk in faith for the girls and me but from Friday evening we felt a huge weight lift from our shoulders to be replaced by a lightness and peace.

Key contacts for Unmarried Couples & Legal Separation


Financial issues for separating unmarried couples

Why you should have a cohabitation agreement?

Unmarried family finance - what happens when an agreement goes wrong?

Articles From Our Blog

+ More Unmarried Finance Articles

Our expertise has won us numerous awards

Would you like to speak to someone? Find out how to get in touch...