“It’s a real pleasure working with Galina. Her experience in criminal law gives a welcome additional perspective to the Care team.”
Galina joined the firm in February 2022 after a long career as a criminal defence solicitor and now works as a solicitor in our Exeter Care Team.
She began working in law after qualifying from Wolverhampton and then the College of Law, London, achieving a coveted Distinction. Early in her career she volunteered for Just TV working on their Channel 4 series, Trial and Error which made docudrama films investigating miscarriages of justice.
After a stint at a multi-disciplinary London solicitors, Galina joined a crime firm in East London, where she was duty solicitor on six London schemes, carrying out lots of advocacy and specialising in cases involving young people and vulnerable clients.
Having worked in the legal sector for over 25yrs, she now represents parents who are facing social services involvement and care proceedings and helps guide parents through one of the most difficult periods of their lives.
Galina prides herself on her firm but empathetic approach and is dedicated to supporting her clients as well as being committed to championing parents to make sure their voices are heard.
Galina enjoys amateur dramatics and works in panto every year. She also organises an annual charity quiz night which supports local charities. In her free time, she enjoys making mosaic art and practising yoga.
Her work experience includes:
- Represented a mother when social services wanted to take children into care through a care order, Galina won the case and the mother has full care of her children again.
- Very complex Case in the high court – involving Galina challenging an application of depravation of liberty, to ensure the child would have more freedom.
- Worked on cases with non-accidental injury and allegations of sexual abuse
- Representing a mother in complicated court proceedings, who had been the victim of domestic violence and sexual abuse. The case involved numerous experts such as psychologists, risk assessors and parenting assessors.
- Represented a father in care proceedings where there was substance misuse and mental health issues, Galina applied to have P assessment to ensure the father obtained support and treatment to successfully have contact with his children again
- Represented parent who was being unfairly treated by their social worker and successfully applied to the court for the parent to have an independent social worker, which meant that they had a fresh set of eyes and support for their case.