Each month we are featuring one of our solicitors or chartered executives. We feel strongly that our clients should be matched with the right lawyer, so this is one way of finding out a little more about our team.
Our lawyer of the month is Derek Jordan, who is based at our Plymouth office. Derek was a finalist in the Solicitor of the Year in the DASLS Legal Awards 2018.
- What is your job title?
Solicitor. Team Leader Domestic Abuse and Private Law Children Plymouth
- How long have you been at The Family Law Company?
Five years on 3 June 2018.
- How did you come to be at TFLC?
I had previously applied for a role with the company in a different department – in fact that probably wouldn’t have been right for me. But TFLC then approached me for this role, and it was a perfect fit.
- What inspired you to go into family law?
I consider that family law encompasses genuine people with problems of a fundamental nature to their lives, rather than problems based on some commercial basis or interest.
- Describe your specialism/s
Providing support to the victims of domestic abuse and their children.
- What would you say are your key strengths as a family lawyer?
I show a total commitment to my clients, and I put a lot of focus on finding the right solution for each client or family’s needs.
- What is the achievement you are most proud of in your job?
Taking people from times of crisis through to a positive solution that leaves them able to move on with their lives in a positive way.
- Why do you think TFLC is different from other family lawyers?
The ethos is to take a holistic, problem-solving approach keeping the needs of any children at the centre of our thinking.
- Are there any related volunteering roles you undertake?
Mine is intense work, and there’s not enough time to take on anything else at the moment.
- What do you do to relax?
I enjoy listening to music and I go to gigs when I get the opportunity.
Need some advice? Get in touch today