Posted by Hannah Porter on 5th June 2019
Last updated 11th June 2019


To protect your interest you need to register a Home Rights Notice with the land registry. This can be done very easily and your spouse does not have to agree to this notice being registered. There is no fee with the land registry for registering this notice and once registered, you will received warning if your spouse tries to sell the home.

The last home you lived in with your spouse is referred to in financial proceedings as the former matrimonial home (FMH). Irrespective of whether you made contributions to the FMH and whether or not it was in your spouse’s sole name, you have a claim against the FMH. The FMH is always considered to be a marital asset. When looking at marital assets, the starting point of the Court is an equal division of assets. The court will look to meet both your needs and your spouse’s needs and will make appropriate distributions of the marital assets to do so.

Need some advice? Get in touch today

Hannah Porter is a Solicitor at The Family Law Company. She supports clients through all aspects of family law but specialises in Divorce and Finance.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
The information submitted here is used and stored for the purpose of replying to the enquiry. For more information on how we process data please visit our Privacy Policy.

Information Articles

+ More Blog Articles
Would you like to speak to someone? Find out how to get in touch...