We have looked at what you can do to keep control of the costs of your divorce – but what does The Family Law Company do to help keep costs to a minimum and make sure your case is dealt with as efficiently as possible?
- You will receive copies of all significant letters.
- We will return telephone calls on the same day if at all possible.
- Urgent matters are dealt with on the same day. However, decisions about the level of urgency must be left with the solicitor dealing with your case as it will be handled alongside other urgent work.
- Our letters to clients and other parties are written in plain English, which you are able to understand easily.
- Appointments are given to clients as quickly as possible – bearing in mind other commitments including attending court.
- We will update you by telephone or in writing with progress on your matter regularly and at least every six weeks unless agreed to the contrary.
- We will update you on your costs every six months and review the costs estimate at that time. We will also tell you if there are any significant changes in the costs, and explain why.
- We will keep under review whether the likely outcomes still justify the likely costs and risks associated with your matter whenever there is a material change in circumstances, and advise you on this.
- We will advise you of any changes in the law that may affect your case.
- We will advise you of any circumstances and risks of which we are aware or consider to be reasonably foreseeable that could affect the outcome of your matter.
- We will inform you of any delay and the reason for it.
- We will explain clearly the effect of any important and relevant papers.
- If a different person needs to assume responsibility for your case we will tell you the name of that person, and the reason for the change.
- We will discuss with you any risks and the likelihood of succeeding with your case. Occasionally, the advice we give and our view of what may happen may be hard to accept. We understand this and we promise to explain our advice thoroughly. We are all specialists in the area of Family Law and will have considered very carefully every aspect of your case.
- We are fortunate to have a large family law team with a huge amount of experience, so we can operate a pyramid structure. This means that your case can be run by more than one family lawyer with elements of work being undertaken by the most appropriate person. Put simply, the day to day running of your case can be undertaken by a more junior lawyer and more complex parts dealt with by a senior family lawyer. Therefore, you will have the benefit of a senior lawyer’s experience, but controls on the cost of your divorce.
Due to this pyramid structure, we have a range of hourly rates depending on the level of experience and seniority of the lawyer. This ensures that your case is conducted by the most appropriate lawyer depending upon the issues in your case and the level of difficulty.
Rachel is a Director, and Head of Department for the Divorce and Finance team. She can be contacted by email at [email protected] or by telephone on 01392 457155.