Posted by Carrie Laws on 26th February 2020
Last updated 28th January 2023
I’m not married to the mother of my child – will I have Parental Responsibility?


 Fathers who are not married to the mother of their child/ren will automatically acquire Parental Responsibility (PR) if they are named as the father on the child’s birth certificate.  This has been the case since 01.12.2003.  PR can also be acquired in the following ways:

  • Marrying the mother;
  • Entering into a PR agreement with the mother;
  • Obtaining an Order for PR from the Court;
  • Being named as the resident parent under a Child Arrangements Order.

If you would like some more information on this topic or any other family issue, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Need some advice? Get in touch today

Carrie Laws is a Solicitor at The Family Law Company. She specialises in Children Law and brings considerable experience in dealing with the most serious cases concerning children.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
The information submitted here is used and stored for the purpose of replying to the enquiry. For more information on how we process data please visit our Privacy Policy.

Information Articles

+ More Blog Articles
Would you like to speak to someone? Find out how to get in touch...