Covid-19 Update: Access to our offices are currently only available by appointment. We're providing our usual client services virtually to maintain the safety of our clients and colleagues. Read more here

Posted by familylaw on 19th December 2011

Family courts have to do everything possible for you to see your children after divorce or separation, and consider residence (formerly custody) if applied for.

Having an amicable relationship with your ex is the best way to build a future and a long lasting relationship with your children, and once contact and residence (custody) issues have been agreed, although not legally binding, it is a good idea to have all of the details concerning contact (who, when, where, or possible restrictions) in writing, to avoid potential conflict in the future.

The court’s aim is to assist fathers to safeguard their children’s welfare, and there are a number of orders that a court can make that are of importance to fathers:

  • Shared Residence Order (Joint Custody)
  • Residence Order (Custody)
  • Parental Responsibility

Disputes Involving Your Children

The following orders are collectively known as s8 orders and they should only be sought during a divorce if they will be of positive benefit to your children.

  • Contact Order
  • Prohibited Steps Order
  • Specific Issue Order
  • Family Assistance Order

Need some advice? Get in touch today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Your privacy is key, read our Privacy Policy

Information Articles

+ More Blog Articles
Would you like to speak to someone? Find out how to get in touch...