Posted by Jemma Breban on 19th December 2011

Fathers have the same rights and responsibilities in their child’s upbringing.

When a marriage ends in separation or divorce, fathers often feel that their rights are not protected in law. Although it can be frustrating, it is essential that you work out the best possible arrangements for your children and ensure they are clear, consistent and reliable for everyone involved.

Putting Your Children First

Think about all aspects of your children’s lives including the arrangements you are making for them, and how you can best support your children through the transition and beyond.

What Are Your Options?

  • Shared Parenting (joint custody) (Shared Residence Order)

The term ‘shared parenting’ refers to a family arrangement following divorce or separation where you both share responsibility for your child’s upbringing.

  • Applying for Residence (custody)

The granting of a residence order is subject to the case’s individual merits and is based on what is in the child’s best interest.

  • Agreed contact

Contact with a child is not a parent’s right. It is the right of the child to have contact with both parents, and to have a loving and secure relationship

Information Articles

+ More Blog Articles
Would you like to speak to someone? Find out how to get in touch...